Sunday, October 23, 2011

DROP THE THE NEEDLE:ISCREAM DESIGN


Mama Zeeta had the pleasure of meeting Montreal designer Kim Cumberbatch from IScream Design a Communications and Interior Design graduate with a background in Photography, Printmaking, Jewelry & Costume design.Fashion is her life and IScream Design is how she expresses what she does best. 

How did you discover a love for designing?
I grew up watching my mother design clothing, sew, model and produce fashion shows. I loved every aspect of it from the fast pace to the conception of a design, to the final production on the runway. My mom taught me how to sew when I was 7yrs old and in a way it felt like a special gift was being handed down to me.

How many designs have you created?
Too many to count. I'm sure I've designed several hundred pieces. I design and hand made clothing, and accessories including jewelry.

Where do you find you inspiration?
I find inspiration in everything around me, such as people, places and even my emotions. For instance if I’m in a bad mood I may subconsciously design a whole collection in black or dark colors. Just like writers I sometimes get designers block and just need to take a step back for a little bit to get inspired by something or someone I may have overlooked.

What's your plan?
My plan is to keep creating designs that people love. I don't want to say that I don't have a plan but at the end of the day it's really about what god has planned for me. I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.

How far are you willing to take fashion design?
If you asked me this question a year ago I would've said I enjoy it as a side gig but I was in a terrible car accident last November which was a definite wake up call for me. Fashion is my calling in life and I intend to follow through with that for as long as I can.

Do you have plans to have a fashion line for all sizes?
I personally hand make all of my designs so I don't currently have the flexibility to produce a line for all sizes. I do however get contracted to create individual and unique pieces for some plus sized clients. Once I start working with a manufacturer, having a fashion line for all sizes will definitely be a priority.





What are you working on currently?
Well I just spent a week in Jamaica as part of the media team for the Miss Global International Pageant. The whole experience was so inspiring that I've come back with so many great ideas for a new line. I can't say too much but be prepared for the unconventional and unexpected.

Where do you find people more receptive?
I've done fashion shows in Montreal and New York and to be quite honest people are more receptive in the US. It’s very common to have the press, photographers and store buyers at a New York fashion show which is something I find lacking in Montreal.

Autumn is here and fashion shows and fashion weeks are springing up, are you going to be attending any shows or presenting?
Unfortunately I did not present anything for fashion week but that is because I have been working on something really big (and secretive) that I want to be perfection before it is seen. I did get the opportunity to attend the Simon Chang, Zenobia Bawa and Ronen Chen shows during Montreal fashion week.




What are your goals?
It would be great to have IScream Designs in stores all over the world. As much as I love designing I've come to realize that I also have an eye for styling so that is something I have been working on. My goal is for IScream Design to be a recognized brand.

Have you ever thought about dressing and individual? (Local celebrity)
I have thought about it and it would be a dream come true for me to style a musical artist, that reflects my brand. I did however find my muse on a recent trip. Her name is Samone and she is the editor of KORE magazine and personal beauty blogger of samonesays.com She encompasses everything I consider IScream Design to be. IScream Design equals sexy, unique, confidant and not afraid to stand out in a crowd because she knows that she's the sh*t!




Where did you develop the name for your design house?
13 years ago I spent a few weeks brainstorming and came up with it. It's very literal in the sense that I do scream design. I love all types of design and all things creative. I have a background in photography, dance, event planning, interior design and the list goes on and on.

Whats been the biggest lesson you've learned thus far?
When it comes to business always get everything in writing even if you're working for a friend or family member. I know it's hard but you'd be surprised how much can get lost in translation or mis-communicated without a solid written agreement on the terms.

What knowledge can you impart on aspiring artists/designers?
Whatever you do don't give up. There will always be people trying to crush your dreams but once you realize that life would be too easy without them everything falls into place.



For more designs info check out IScreamdesign.net
Interviewed by Zeeta Maharaj




4 comments:

  1. OK, well I'll be the first to comment. I love it!!!...Thank you so much, I truly appreciate the love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luving the purses!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go baby hint(would you like a red bull)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FANTASTIC!!! Amazing creations Kim <3
    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete